It might be easier to answer the question, “Who doesn’t need brand development?” We live in a world where markets are saturated with dozens of solutions to most problems, and where innovation, ingenuity, and distinctiveness have become coveted qualities for new and existing brands.
Brand development is essential when building a brand, but it is also a necessary element in maintaining a brand that will withstand the test of time. Let’s delve into what brand development can do for your brand.
What Happens in Brand Development?
Whilst developing a brand, How to Build a Brand recommends asking the following questions and using the answers to build your brand:
- Who are you and what are your values? This question might seem irrelevant, but think again. The personal values that you bring to your business will influence how you deal with your clients. Your values will be evident, and will therefore work to attract the types of clients you want to work with. Name your values and incorporate them into your everyday communications – you will organically attract your target audience.
- Why are you building this brand? The most successful contemporary corporate brands have learnt that in order to engage people, they must make their passion apparent. Consumers want to know what drives you; they care about your motives. More than ever, people are buying into brands for those brands’ missions, rather than for the products and services.
- Who needs to know about you and your brand? Your corporate brand solves a problem. Who has this problem? Where do they live? What is their gender? What is their age? What is their occupation? What are their values and beliefs? Where are they hanging out and how can you put your brand within their sight? When you know your audience well, you will know how to best position your brand in their path.
- How will your ideal clients learn about you? This is an extension of the previous point. Once you learn all about your target audience’s moves and preferences, you’ll best know where to reach them…but that’s only part of the answer. What media will you use to convey the meaning of your brand? Will it be print, video, social media, meet-and-greets, billboards, etc.? Rarely does one communication medium work for any given brand; the real puzzle is figuring out what combination of media will work best for building your brand’s reputation.
- Why should people care about your brand? In order to become a staple in the minds of your ideal clients, you must make your brand’s benefits clear. This means telling people how it will change their day…or their lives. Really, they want to know what’s in it for them, and effective brand development makes that clear.
During brand development, you will learn that a corporate brand is far more than the product or service that you offer. It’s a collection of impressions, emotions, memories, and thoughts that consumers collect (and hold) about you and your business.
When will you Need Brand Development?
A new corporate brand needs brand development, of course, but there are other circumstances that call for brand development. These include:
- The change of a corporate brand’s name, tagline, logo, etc. (due to rebranding or a merger)
- revitalisation of your brand identity (to keep it relevant)
- the creation of a more cohesive brand (in materials’ visual appearance and in message)
- enhancement of employee retention, communication, and collaboration
At How to Build a Brand, we are passionate about sending forth the message that brand development plays a crucial role in the success of any corporate brand. Learn more by subscribing to Brand Brain magazine or by joining the conversation on Twitter.